Welcome to Cranky Dave's,

I hope you find my posts entertaining and sometimes helpful.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Directv - July 22, 2012

We had Directv installed when we first moved into our home in 2002. They have been  providing us with great service and TV viewing for 10 years, when we decided we needed to upgrade our equipment. We had an old DVR that was not HD and was very limited in the amount of data it could store.

We called Directv to see what they could do for one of their long term loyal customers, who always pay their bill on time. Customer service told us that the best they could do, in regards to new equipment, would cost us $200 to $300 out of our pocket. I was somewhat surprised that was the best they could do.

We only have a couple of options where we live. There is no cable. So it is either Directv or Dish and we had not heard good things about Dish. After thinking about what we have heard about Dish. I realized it was mainly negative advertising from Directv and decided to give Dish a call.


Dish offered us their new Hopper and Joey equipment at a great price. FREE. FREE installation and a reduce program fee for the first year and they threw in FREE HD for life with automatic payment. They could also install it the next day. I don't know if you have noticed something here, but I liked the word FREE!

Well to be fair I called Directv back to give them a chance to meet the offer. To my surprise they said they could not do any better then what they offered the first time. So I asked them to cancel my service as of the next day and called Dish and gave them the OK to proceed.

Dish was out there the next day as promised. Did a great job with the install. The installer was very nice and knowledgeable. We had the Hopper installed in the living room and a Joey installed in the bedroom. We were extremely impressed with the new technology, the ease of use and the programing that was offered. We were very happy with the switch.

To our surprise we immediately started getting phone calls from Directv with offers to get us back. I could not believe it. We we asked the for an upgrade they refused and seemed to care less that they were losing a customer. Then we started getting offers at least once a week from Directv in the mail. They now were offering the equipment free, free installation, reduced programing fees for the first year and free HD for life, just like dish.

The final kicker is that they also offered to pay the fee to break my contract with Dish. Where was all this, Directv, when we called you in the beginning? Seems like it would have been far more profitable for Directv to make me a decent offer in the beginning. But no, they decided that they were too good and that no one would leave them for Dish as they were the best.

Well Directv, you were wrong if we ever come back it will be in the future when we want to upgrade our equipment again and only if Dish won't make us a deal.

1 comment:

  1. Well we're certainly glad to have you here at Dish! A few Dish coworkers and I were selected to Beta-Test the Hopper, and we love it as much as you do! Have you checked out Prime Time Anytime (PTAT) yet? I work crazy hours, so it's really nice having all that memory space (2,000) hours, and fantastic being able to set PTAT to automatically record all my Prime Time shows. I also like that the Auto Hop function allows me to watch my DVRs in half the time without commercials! I like the equipment AND service better at Dish, and we're really glad to have you!!

    ReplyDelete